“If your presence doesn’t make an impact, your absence won’t make a difference.”
Have you ever walked into a room and just been drawn to someone as if by magnetism? You can’t put your finger on it, you just sense that person will be warm, interesting, easy to talk to and engaging.
Equally have you ever been in a room and then watched someone walk in who has an instant impact? People notice them, want to engage with them, hear what they have to say and they move effortlessly around the room spreading their own special kind of ‘Magic’ wherever they go!
We have all met people with strong Personal Presence – sometimes described as ‘Charisma’. They are just ‘comfortable in their own skin’
They have a quiet self-assurance that makes everyone around them feel at ease too.
This is ‘Personal Presence’ at it’s best and people who have it in abundance ooze confidence devoid of arrogance and radiate a feeling of well-being which infiltrates everyone they connect with.
A strong Presence can be irresistibly attractive, combine it with passion and drive and you will be unstoppable!
It will open doors for you, make you stand out from the crowd, get you in front of people you would otherwise never meet, create incredible opportunities and ensure you leave a lasting impact wherever you go.
Many people think that ‘Personal Presence’ is something you are either ‘born with’ or without and it’s true that even babies can exert a strong presence from birth, however, the good news is that we can all develop a stronger ‘Personal Presence’ by taking some very simple steps.
One of the key ways to develop your ‘Personal Presence’ is to be really clear and assured in your own natural talents and abilities, knowing exactly where you add value and what is unique and special about you.
We are all as unique as a fingerprint, there has never been anyone like us before and there will never be anyone like us again!
Yet so often we forget the skills and natural abilities we have as life takes over and responsibilities weigh heavy on our shoulders and our ‘resistance’ tells us that we are not good enough or clever enough to be anything other than ‘ordinary’ and that we should be content to settle for 2nd best!
So many factors influence the person we turn out to be – our background, upbringing, education, friends, career, interests, health, fitness etc – the list is endless and we so often settle for what we are expected to be by parents, teachers, bosses, colleagues, partners, friends, children.
Our true brilliance gets buried beneath those feelings of how we ‘should’ think, act, behave and simply ‘be’
So how can we increase our ‘Personal Presence’?
This is a huge topic and trainers run week long courses and more in this subject alone so this article just scratches the surface however there are some instant steps that can make a significant difference right now and I will share a few here.
- Get clear on what your natural strengths/talents are -a great profiling tool like Talent Dynamics gives an uncannily accurate report in just 10 mins and often resurrects long forgotten skills.
- Spend your time doing what you are naturally talented at rather than trying to be the typical ‘Jack of all Trades’. You will see great results for your efforts, gain recognition of your skills and feel energized and engaged with the task in hand.
- Invest in your personal and professional development – ‘knowledge is power’ and sharing new knowledge is extremely empowering.
- Invest in your health and wellbeing – looking after yourself will ensure you feel valued and valuable and a healthy glow is extremely attractive.
- Get professional advice on colour and style to ensure you look and feel your best in any situation. Wearing colours that suite you will make you look radiant, stand out from the crowd and brighten up any grey day.
- Build in quality ‘me’ time when you can rest, reflect, re-charge and be at your best when you are out and about connecting with others.
- Read as much and as diverse material as you can -you will always have something to talk about and an interesting opinion on a wide range of topics.
- Make sure you are regularly in the company of inspiring and successful people – they will stimulate, energise and challenge you keeping you focused on your pathway to fulfillment.
- Engage a personal/business coach who will ensure you keep moving towards your goals and challenge you to reach even higher!
- Be kind to yourself. Accept compliments graciously. Remind yourself how well you are doing, how capable you are, what a good job you do. Ask for testimonials and put them where you can read them regularly, share them with others.
This is just the tip of the iceberg, however all of these steps will make you feel more confident and more comfortable in your own skin and as you start to exude that confidence, you unconsciously give others the permission to do the same. © Sylvia Baldock
“When we are authentic, when we act out of presence and awareness, it also gives nourishment to the inner being of people around us.” ― Swami Dhyan Giten
To fully explore and enhance your Personal Presence do contact me for coaching, workshops, keynote speech. firstname.lastname@example.org
Testimonial to previous workshop
“I just wanted to write to state my thanks again.
Your workshop today was amazing. You really allowed the individual to shine through and created a safe atmosphere in which to share and grow.
I think, in the future, I will look upon this day as the first day of the rest of my life.
What a truly amazing job to touch people’s lives in the way that you do.
Many Thanks”, J.H.