I was brought up in a strict Baptist family with church 3 times on a Sunday, Bible study groups, church youth clubs and socials filling our leisure time. It was an emotionally charged church and one of my favourite hymns was ‘How Great Thou Art’ by Carrie Underwood.
This came back to me this morning through meditation today and inspired the following blog.
I have invested considerably in personal development over the last few years, which has opened up an exciting opportunity working with Global Charisma Guru, Nikki Owen, delivering her Charisma Connection programme, which is radically changing the face of leadership and engagement.
I was discussing the next training course I am attending on my personal growth journey with Nikki this week and she said ‘Sylvia, you have everything you need right now within you, you are so much better than you think you are.’
A couple of days later, Nikki gifted me an Astrology session with the highly experienced Karen Porritt who has over 23 years experience in interpreting astrology charts with incredible accuracy.
Karen’s reading was really insightful and impactful.
She knew nothing about me and yet she identified many of the defining moments from my past and re-enforced Nikki’s words that I am ready now, that I have everything I need to go out and deliver my wisdom and experience to others – I was really touched and inspired by this reading and was still digesting all the information whilst driving to the Professional Speaking Association meeting on Saturday.
Suddenly, a message flashed up on a digital billboard on the A40 for literally 2 seconds that took my breath away.
It said –
……and then it was gone.
I was gob smacked! That’s 3 times in 4 days! I thought – OK, I get it -time to start believing it!!
Now I know you may be thinking that’s just coincidence and of course it could be, however it has really impacted on me and made me think about ‘greatness’ in a whole new way.
I was brought up to believe that only certain people are born for greatness, the select few, and that it is the luck of the draw.
The dictionary definitions of ‘greatness’ vary considerably as in the following –
“Intensity considerably above average”
“The best version of yourself”
The 1st definition suggests that it is a gift of the select few, whereas the second definition gives hope to all of us who are living our best lives.
My life’s work is all about unlocking the hidden potential in people, and I fully believe we are all only scratching the surface of our true potential.
Beyond wherever we are now, lies an infinite depth of wisdom, talent and strength just waiting for us to tap into and release more of our uniqueness and individual magic.
Listening to Aaron Phipps, double amputee, at London PSA on Saturday, talking about how he climbed Kilimanjaro firstly in a wheelchair and then having to continue to the summit on his hands and knees, when his body was crying out for him to stop, just illustrated how much more we can do than we ever thought possible.
Our limiting beliefs keep us playing small and our knowledge, wisdom, and experience are often our best-kept secrets.
- We don’t believe we have anything special to offer.
- We grow up being taught to conform, to fit in, to be one of the crowd.
- So we feel we have nothing unique to share.
At that same Saturday meeting we were encouraged by some of the ‘Fellows’ of the PSA to tell our own story, to bring our thoughts and learnings to the stage, to share our life experiences, which make any talk so much richer, more personal and memorable.
When we hide behind our limiting self-beliefs, when we believe that no-one will be interested in our story, when we let the fear of judgement silence our personal ‘take’ on our topic, we deprive the audience of the infinite wisdom created by our unique life experience and we blend into the crowd of mediocrity like grey suits on a London tube.
So how do you step into your greatness?
- Recognise and celebrate your uniqueness – there is nobody quite like you on this planet and it’s time to let that shine through.
- Spend your time doing the work you love and are naturally talented in – you will be in ‘Flow’ and will ‘glow’ with the positive energy of living life on purpose. You wil become known as an ‘expert’ I your field.
- Share your wisdom through speaking, blogging, videos, podcasts -as you build up a bank of followers you will realize just how much more you have to share.
- Invest in your greatest asset – namely ‘YOU’ – work with a coach who can enable you to step into your unique power and explore opportunities you never though possible.
- Join a mastermind group or network where you are part of an inspiring community who will support, advise, guide you and keep you accountable for those steps that will release more of your greatness.
Have fun exploring more of your infinite potential – once you dive into the ocean of possibility you won’t every want to paddle in the shallows again.